Thursday, June 28, 2012

Crib Skirt Tutorial

Follow Me on Pinterest

Add a nice finishing touch to the crib 

A Facebook friend approached me a few weeks ago wondering if I could sew a crib skirt, and it's not an exaggeration to say that I was REALLY excited about the project! I've never sewn one before, but it seemed easy enough - basically five rectangles pieced together, right? In all reality, it was about that simple especially since it would have a straight side and no gathering. If you have have a few sewing projects under your belt already, you too could pump one of these out.

Supplies needed:
  • ~ 6 yds. fabric (I purchased a navy color polyester/cotton blend)
  • coordinating color fabric
Using the finished dimensions shown on crib skirts sold in stores (28" x 52" x 14"), I cut a total of 5 pieces of fabric:
  • (1) 29" x 53" - portion that sits on the crib base
  • (2) 31" x 54" - long side panels (I made this piece slightly longer for fudging later if needed. It's true, I do make mistakes ;P)
  • (2) 31" x 29" - short side panels
Assemble the Crib Skirt (I used a 1/2" seam allowance)
Fold panels in half width wise
  1. Side Panels
    1. Fold all (4) side panels in half lengthwise, so they are all 15.5" wide.
    2. Sew short sides (then press seam, clip corners and turn right side out, and press again)
      Sew short edges, clip & press
  2.  To attach side panels to the base piece:
    1. Lay base piece right side up
    2. Pin and sew panels to base
      Place side panels on top of the base piece. Match raw edges and pin.
    3. Finish raw edges
      Top stitch seam allowance to base
    4. Again using a straight stitch, sew around each of the (4) sides.If you're like me and don't yet have the luxury of owning a serger, I would recommend going back over the raw edge with an overlock stitch, zigzag stitch, or trimming edges with pinking shears to prevent the edges from fraying too much. If you have one, I'm jealous! :)
    5. Press the seams again with the seam allowance toward the base piece of the crib skirt.
    6. Top stitch base piece, catching the seam allowance. For this stitch I usually increase the stitch length to about 3. It's a nice finishing touch and makes it look a little more professional.
And that's it! Now you just wait for that sweet bundle of joy to arrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment