Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Better Bread Box

Follow Me on Pinterest
New & Improved Bread Box

Happiness is Homemade

I came across an old bread box that looked much like the image below for super cheap. My first reaction was "Sweet, this would be handy in the kitchen". My second thought was "but it's dang ugly." I bought it anyway and it sat in the garage for a few weeks as a mulled over its makeover. 
 
The part of the bread box that put me off the most was the large "Bread" signature. It doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the kitchen. I set off to our very large collection of paint cans and dug out the white color to paint the entire lid piece. I'm about as much of a messy painter as I am a cook, so I put painters tape on the areas I didn't want the paint to get on. In order to totally cover up the "Bread" signature, I had to apply about 4-5 coats of paint. It was a lot. 

I then bought a bag of wooden letters for just under $4 to spell out "Happiness is Homemade". I painted the letters with the red paint used on the kitchen walls and also on the toy container I made. Once the letters were dry, I put a dollop of hot glue on the back and applied it to the bread box lid. 

The quote "Happiness is Homemade" was fitting because my husband and I work hard to make our home a happy place to be. We try to show the kids that we love and enjoy each other. It's not a coincidence that when we are at our best together, the kids' attitudes and behaviors are at its best too!

No comments:

Post a Comment