Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Newspaper Seed-Starting Pots

Follow Me on Pinterest

Recycle your newspaper!


My professional resume states that I'm a "self-starter". If I had a personal resume, it would list "seed-starter". Every year I start some of my outdoor flowers and tomato plants indoors from seed. I think I've determined that in the end it's really not that much less expensive than just going out and buying my flowers and plants but a ton more rewarding.

I watched this YouTube video and decided to fore go the Jiffy peat pots. They are inexpensive and great way to recycle old newspapers. It involves rolling recycled newspaper around a glass or jar. The finished pots are sturdy and will break down quickly once they've been planted in the soil.

I planted marigolds and allysum. I'm not sure if it was the newspaper pot, seed, potting soil or green house technique I used, but these babies shot up in just half the germination time! This photo was taken at 4 days, the germination period is 8-10 days!

In every gardener there is a child who believes in The Seed Fairy.  ~Robert Brault


 

No comments:

Post a Comment